Evangelistic Church of Deliverance
Church Bus Policies & Guidelines
The Church Bus shall be operated under the general supervision of the Board of Directors by the Transportation Ministry of ECOD.
To provide safe, dependable group transportation for the church family to enhance the programs and ministries of the church.
A. Use of the Bus
- ELIGIBILITY: Any ECOD group has approval and authority to use the bus. Groups sponsored by or connected to ECOD shall be allowed to use the bus upon special request made to the Administrator and subject to approval of the Board. Trips of extended miles (greater than 50 miles) must be cleared through the Church Administrator in consultation with the Board.
NUMBER OF PASSENGERS REQUIREMENT: The maximum number of passengers
MAYNOT exceed the 22 passenger capacity of the bus design, including the driver. The minimum number of passengers for an out of county trip is to be 11 (including the driver). The minimum number required for pick-up on Sunday morning is 10 .
- SCHEDULING PROCEDURE: All proposed uses of the bus should be requested through the Church Calendar Secretary. Groups that are not direct ministries of ECOD can reserve the bus no more than one month prior to use. Priority is given to ECOD ministries and auxiliaries. The organization or group using the bus is responsible for securing a driver from the approved list.
- POINT OF ORIGIN: The bus will leave from and return to the church parking lot. The bus will be parked in the designated parking area.
- TRIP SUPERVISION: It is the responsibility of the group or trip sponsor using the bus to provide the proper adult supervision.
- PASSENGER CONDUCT: All users of the church bus are expected to conduct themselves in a manner that exemplifies Christian principles. The Board reserves the right to deny use of the bus to passengers whose conduct becomes detrimental to the general safety of the group. Vandalism or property damage shall be paid for by the person/group responsible for the damage and constitutes due reason to deny use of the bus for future trips. Trip sponsors and adult supervisors shall have sole responsibility for passenger conduct.
- BUS CLEANLINESS: Each group is responsible for cleaning the bus, including picking up all refuse, cleaning spills and clearing all debris from the seats and floor. A fee of $50.00 will be assessed any group that does not adequately clean the bus.
- TRIP RECORDS: The driver is responsible for completing the Bus Checklist (Appendix A) and the Bus Trip Log (Appendix C). Completed forms are to be filed in the Bus Log Book.
- SMOKING POLICY: No smoking is allowed on the bus by passengers or driver.
- REQUIREMENTS: All drivers will complete the Bus Driver Application (Appendix B) and satisfy the following criteria:
- Church member
- Commercial Drivers License with a “P” (passenger) endorsement for the 22 capacity bus.
- At least 25 years of age but not older than 70
- At least 5 years of driving experience
- No reckless driving in the last five years
- No more than 2 moving violations in the last five years
- AVAILABILITY: The Administrative Office shall maintain an up-to-date list of approved drivers. It shall be the responsibility of the ministry / auxiliary requesting use of the bus to secure its own driver from that approved list.
RESPONSIBILITY: The driver of the church bus will have sole responsibility and authority in matters pertaining to the bus operation, maintenance and safety (see pre-trip check list). The driver is responsible for:
- Keeping all licensing requirements up to date
- Complying with this policy
- Closing all windows and locking the bus when passengers depart
- Returning the key, along with the Bus Checklist and Log, to the church office
- EMERGENCY: In any accident or emergency situation involving the church bus, ECOD should be represented at the scene by only one individual in any ensuing discussion with authorities, insurance representatives, etc. The driver will be the spokesperson on the scene for the church in any such situation.
- In case of a vehicle break down, the driver should contact the Church Administrator immediately.
- In case of an accident, the driver or a passenger should call 911 and contact the Church Administrator immediately.
- The driver is responsible for filling out all forms required by the law enforcement as well as accident reports for the church.
- MINORS: Youth leader sponsoring activities must have adequate adult supervising support. Parents / guardians must sign a Liability Release Form (Appendix D). The Liability Release Form authorizes ECOD to act on the parent / guardian’s behalf in administering medical treatment, in the event that such treatment is deemed necessary, if the parents or guardians cannot be reached. After the activity the Liability Release Form shall be placed in the Administrative Office.
ANDRESPONSIBILITY: The Board shall insure that all drivers are properly trained in the operation of the bus and that they are supplied with all pertinent information and instructions.
- BUS DRIVER CANNOT BE COUNTED AS AN ADULT SUPERVISOR.
C. Operations and Maintenance
- Driver must obey all traffic laws.
- Seat belt use is required at all times during bus operation
CELLPHONE USE WHILE DRIVING
- NO audio devices with headphones or earplugs covering both ears permitted while driving
- BUDGET: The Board will be responsible for major items of upkeep such as insurance coverage, tires and major repairs.
- MAINTENANCE RESPONSIBILITY: The General Factotum will also provide for operational maintenance such as registration, fuel, oil and filter/lube, exterior wash, minor turn-ups, etc.
- TRIP CHARGES: Each group shall pay for fuel consumed during their trip and will return the bus with a full tank of gas and all fluids topped off.
The church shall insure the bus. Minimum coverage shall include bodily injury and property damage, liability, medical payments, uninsured motorist, fire, theft, comprehensive and collision. The cost of the insurance shall be provided for in the annual church budget.
At all times, the driver of the church bus shall have final responsibility and authority in matters relating to the safety of the bus and its passengers. In this regard, passenger discipline is considered to be related to safety.
- Drive performs pre – trip inspections and completes the inspection form
- Drivers confirms safety equipment is stored at all times in its prescribed location
F. Outside Use of Bus
The bus will not be available to individuals or to outside groups or organizations.
G. Review of Policies
All of the foregoing is subject to review at any time by the Board of Directors. The Board shall approve exceptions to this policy on an individual basis.
Adopted this Second day of October 2010 by the Deacon and Trustee Boards
Church Van/ Bus Usage Request Form
Date of Request (today date) ____________________________________
Name of Person or Group Requesting Vehicle:_________________________________
Contact Phone # (Home)__________________________(Cell)_____________________
Please list a short description of the vehicle use and approximate mileage:
Is this a Re-occurring use? YES [ ] NO [ ]
Number of Passengers__________________
Date leaving_________________________ Date returning_______________________
Back – up Driver:______________________________________________________
- Bus to be returned in clean condition
- Please turn in fuel receipts if reimbursement is desired
By signature below, Applicant states that he / she
- Has reviewed the Church Bus Policies and Guidelines and agrees to abide by them at all times during bus usage.
- Understand that bus usage may be denied
- Acknowledges full responsibility for the use of the bus in the manner set forth in the Church Bus Policies and Guidelines.